12 July 2005

The Long Emergency

So, I've been reading this book (in between editions of Velonews and watching the Tour de France) called "The Long Emergency" by James Howard Kunstler. It's essentially an attempt at non-biased postulation on where the world is headed after Peak Oil. It's been consuming me over the past few weeks, and I'm trying to keep it all in perspective, but his analysis of what's to come after we run out of oil if we don't use it soon to launch our societies off on another energy system looks pretty bleak. If you get a chance to read it, I highly recommend it. His views on the state of the Middle East alone are worth the read.

If you also haven't read "The Ecology of Commerce" by Paul Hawken, I also recommend it. This book was cited in the movie "The Corporation" which is also a must-see.

Anyhoo - I'm off to the Stampede with Joe. Gotta go!

2 comments:

CanaGal said...

hey you!!!
Congrats on your gold win. Tour de Reid is next

tbd said...

Can't wait to read both your book recommendations...I just bought Irsrad Manji's "The Trouble with Islam" and am slowly getting through it, since I just started summer school. She's a feisty little thing though, good read indeed.

You should check out Noam Chomsky's DVD too, if you haven't already done so. Entertaining, the man is NOT, but the topics and his views on neo-liberalism and politics in general are very interesting...