17 August 2005

Dumb movies, Avian flu and stuff.

It's still raining here. I'm about to go out for a run, although none of the other runners I go with normally are coming out today. Too cold and wet to go biking, and no one else wants to run in the rain. Oh well.

Joe and I went to see "The Island" last night. It was pretty okay. It started very promising, with the potential to get the audience thinking about certain issues like cloning, media propaganda and such, but then simply fell back into the old Hollywood formula of a bunch of car chases and crashes. They tried to touch on some of the subjects again at the end of the movie, but by then it was too late. Sort of 'Gattaca' meets 'The Fast and the Furious'. They put all the crap in the middle and completely lost my interest. I had always been hopeful that Ewan McGregor would sort of go the way of Johnny Depp and take roles that were challenging and controversial, but now I see he is just turning into a money whore just like the rest of them. Too bad. I used to really like him as an actor. I guess I should have known after he took on the Obi-Wan Kenobi role. Like that was an acting challenge.

Jeff and I had a bit of a conversation about the bird flu this morning and what could come of that whole bizarre situation. It's only a matter of time before the virus mutates into something that will transmit from human to human. Yeesh. I'd better start practicing holding my breath and sterilizing everything that I want to touch. Of course this wouldn't become big news until the financial markets started looking at it, but now that they are giving press releases on this stuff, maybe I should be becoming more unnerved.

Calgary Herald
Reflector.com
Real Truth
World Health Organization

1 comment:

MB said...

Pickle brine??? Now that will kill off anything!