29 May 2006

Urgh...

What a shitty day at work. I can't believe how much bureaucracy has been thrown up since the re-org and outsourcing of infrastructure to IBM and EDS. It seems to take three times as long, requiring five times as many approvals to get anything done anymore. I'm getting quite tired of it, frankly. I've heard rumours that the IS VP is thinking about bringing some of that work back into the company since the cost charges IBM and EDS are going through the roof. To top off all of that, the re-org left us with a lot of holes in the support system at work. There are applications that are still now being discovered that no longer have a service owner or support team looking after them anymore. And everyday we're finding that more and more business owners are trying to dump their stuff on our team, one of the few verifiable web application support teams left in the company. Yet they won't hire any more people for the team and we're expected to do even more with less. It's all a bunch of bullshit and I've just about had it.

Rant complete.

3 comments:

The Experience said...

I may just be a captilist pig factory owner talking here but you should be really happy to have your job! I could outsource all the work to India and then where would you be? Hmm?

MB said...

None of our jobs are secure, that's for sure.

CP could try to outsource my job, but it would blow up in their face. Outsourcing infrastructure is different from company-specific application support. Even design is outsource-able, but not support. Even our boss is thinking it wasn't such a good idea. Costs through the roof!!!

You think the software support guy in Bangalore knows the intricacies of our train scheduling software? I don't think so.

I guess dealing with third-party ineptitude is the way things are today. I'll have to suck it up, buttercup. Fuck that shit! I'm going elsewhere!

MB said...

Yep - the system works as long as there are slaves. If everyone wants parity for the work they do, then the whole advantage to outsourcing is lost.