14 March 2006

Poor Miss Deaf Texas

Miss Deaf Texas dies after being hit by UP train

Miss Deaf Texas died after she was struck by a train March 13. Tara McAvoy, 18, was walking near railway tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train. A witness said the train sounded its horn until the accident. McAvoy, deaf since birth, won the state title in June and represented the state "with dignity and pride," said state pageant director Laura Loeb Hill. McAvoy was to represent Texas at the Miss Deaf America pageant this summer. McAvoy graduated last year from the Texas School for the Deaf, attended Austin Community College and then started at Gallaudet University in Washington.
(Associated Press 060314)

Okay the irony is thick here. I don't want to imply I'm making fun of deaf people or even beautiful deaf people....I don't know about you, but if I was deaf, walking along the railway tracks would NOT be one of my more frequent pastimes. This story seems really weird to me.

1 comment:

The Experience said...

This is too funny and/or fucked up to be real.