17 March 2006

Delirious bloggings

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!

It's 6 in the morning and I'm awake. I woke up from a strange dream where I was hanging out with a bunch of people from Indiana or Texas, I can't remember. I was in their hometown for some reason - midwestern-type Americana - I think it was the fact that I had met this guy Jim from peak oil blogging and ended up staying at his place, we had been talking about some end-of-the-world-by-alien-destruction movie and bonded. I recall I had to be back in Calgary by the next day to catch the flight to Tucson, so I don't really know what the hell I was doing there. Nice people nonetheless. I never found out whether I made it home though.

Anyways, work is completely driving me bonkers and I think that's screwing up with my sleep. Our primary web server has gone mental over the past month and it's starting to impact deployment schedules of new applications among other things. Our infrastructure vendor's team lead and my company's web team have been trying to make the case since early February that something is horribly wrong but no one's been listening - that is, of course, until a part of one of the high-profile major multi-platform deployments this weekend was potentially delayed because of this problem. Now all the higher-ups are freaking out and making noise. The political fallout is sort of fun to watch, maybe because I'm so numb to the issue now and the pain it's been causing me and my short-staffed team. It's the same on the the vendor's side. Our vendor's team guys that we know quite well and depend on is threatening to quit due to the overwork and shortstaffing. My god - if we lose him from the vendor, I might as well quit too since our job will have just become a hundred times more frustrating. He knows the environment well. His teammate doesn't and is sort of a screw up. I shudder to think what will happen, but it probably will. Fucking work. I've been on a service call from 8am to 9am yesterday morning and another last night from 9:30 to 10:30 while I was working through the Synergy financials with Craig D and BK at Fiore. Luckily no calls overnight, but the processor on the web server has been pinned at 100% for a good 12 hours now, so I'm expecting something shortly. Fuck.

I'm currently watching the performance monitor on the web server and gauging the CPU usage per process with Task Manager. God I hate these tools -- it feels this is all I've been doing for weeks.

Main delirious rant over....

Anyhoo, yes, I started to get through the examinations of the Synergy financial reports with my two wonderful volunteering Examiners, Craig and BK. I'm very glad we went through this exercise since it showed me I still have some more cleanup to do on the statements. The overall figures are fine but some clarification of the details is required. It will be no problem to get this done in short order. I'm glad we got it started last night. I intend to have this stuff and the AGLC reports completed and sent to Edmonton before the trip to Arizona.

What's up with the Commonwealth Games? CBC's coverage is a whole two hours a day on NewsWorld. CBC.ca has absolutely nothing, neither do CTV or Global. I've been depending on the main Games site and CanadianCyclist.com for my information. Any other news in the main media is reports when someone wins a medal. We're still inundated with hockey and the Brier playoffs. What's up with that? Stupid mainstream media and professional sports, I hate you. Look what you've done! Okay, curling doesn't really count - that's just a result of the weirdness of the Canadian condition during the long isolated winters.

Travis Smith won a silver in the Keirin last night! Woo-hoo! Gina Grain and Mandy Poitras were a close 4th and 5th in the women's points race, and Zach Bell was 8th in the men's points race final.

That's about all my tired head can think about for now. I think I'll head to bed for another hour, unless the on-call phone rings of course. I've had the damn thing for a month now. I'm handing it over to the other teammate on Monday for a WHOLE MONTH. I can't wait!

Enjoy your green beers today, y'all.

2 comments:

Alanis said...

How wonderful would life be if we just didn't have to work...especially you and me (with our sucky jobs!!). You and Joe are going to have to stop by soon to see the new pad! We should make a date.

Yum - Green beer - yum

labottomme said...

ACK @ on-call delirium. All you need is a crack-berry to ensure that you have zero of a social life, like the peeps I work with. Bah.

Hope the shitstorm settles at your work, and if not, that they give you a big fat severance package so you can have some play time before whoring yourself to a new corporate monger :-p

Love your random rants lol - keep em' comin!