25 November 2005

Movin' On Up (To the East Side)

So it's official. Joe and I are looking for some property. We've set up an appointment with a broker next week to get the ball rolling. We figure we should be eligible for quite a sizable mortgage, however we only want to be spending close to what we are now on monthly payments. If we get a place for $250K, less $20K down payment, we would be looking at around $1000/month mortgage payments (plus condo fees, taxes, etc, etc.). I'm pretty excited to start looking. We're still intending to find a place to live where we still don't require a car. I'm inclined towards the new townhouse condo developments in Inglewood (close to downtown and C-train, but no local grocery store...), however we wouldn't rule out Sunnyside or Bankview either. I've pretty much ruled out downtown now. At one time I thought one of the new high-rise condos might be the best option, however now I realize the demand premium on their prices is far more than I deem necessary or reasonable. In that light even if we bought in Inglewood the demand for property in the ring communities around downtown is going to soar over the next five years. It's time to make the leap and get in the game!

4 comments:

The Experience said...

I absolutely love Hillhurst/Sunnyside. Best neighbourhood in the city as far as I'm concerned. I don't think that you'll find much there for $250k. It's pricey but well worth it.

MB said...

That's why Inglewood is my choice. It's close to Sunnyside prices, but not quite there yet.

CanaGal said...

Move into hindu heights with us! We could car pool!

mrs the experience said...

Exciting!!!