07 July 2006

Couldn't have said it better myself...

A PHILOSOPHY OF BICYCLING

What is it that gets a grown person riding a bike? After all, most Americans think of bikes as child's toys. Those few that don't worry about the supposed dangers seem to worry about just looking silly. So why bother with bicycling? Well, here's my answer - my philosophy of bicycling.

There's a lot I love about bicycling. I love the machines themselves - so elegant, so efficient. I love the exercise - keeping me in good health, and keeping me able to be active and enjoy life. I love biking for getting me out of doors, into nature and the countryside. I love it for the wandering and exploring of new roads, new places. I love it for the people - for the many, many friends it's brought me. I love it because it's a family activity, and I love doing things with my family. I love it for the independence - because I can actually ride my bike across the state, carrying all I need, and not rely on Exxon. I love the excitement of pushing myself to climb a steep hill, or to go fast, and the friendly competition with someone trying to go faster. I love relaxed cruising, too, and the great conversation that always seems to go with bike riding.

But one thing I love most about bicycling is: I think bicycling does something positive for the world. I love the earth that God has created, and I feel we have a moral obligation to care for it. It's a concept of stewardship. And I think bicycling helps. It's good for the earth.

In particular, anytime a person uses a bicycle instead of a car, it's good for the earth. Think about this: Isn't it strange that we Americans use twice as much energy per person as the British, or the Japanese, or the West Germans? And isn't it strange that we'll use a belching machine that weighs more than a ton, with the power of over 100 horses (and fuel consumption to match), to move a person and a briefcase a couple miles? It's like using a 100 pound bag to carry 10 pounds of groceries. It's like using a cannon to swat a fly. It's a clumsy use of technology.

The bicycle can be appropriate transportation - at least, much of the time. And in many countries, everybody (not just poor people or weird college professors, but everybody) knows this, and rides one all the time. So it can be done. And so I like to promote it - for the good of the earth.

But there's more. I think the bicycle is good for society as well. I see America as a country where the isolated, insulated, glass-enclosed mobility of the automobile is severely damaging society. Neighbors don't know the family two or three doors down, because they never pass them at less than 30 miles per hour. Impatient drivers, anonymous in their cars, curse or cut off drivers that somehow offend them. Middle class families abandon the cities to decay, using their mobility to move further and further into the countryside, which quickly becomes flattened and paved. More and more of the world becomes ugly and commercialized. In many fashionable areas, a 14 year old kid - who really should be out kicking around the woods, exploring the world - literally can't get anywhere without begging a ride in a car. Nobody plans or allows for anybody to travel any way but by car. So, nobody travels except by car!

I would like to see a society where transportation alternatives exist. More important, I'd like to see "development" take human beings, not just cars, into account. A person should be able to walk or bicycle to every shopping center, without feeling threatened with assault by automobiles. A kid should be able to bike out to get a loaf of bread for Mom. There should be enough neighbors out and about that parents would know their kids are safe and behaving.

I like to think bicyclists can help bring about this kind of world. If we use our bikes more often, maybe we'll begin regaining the streets. Maybe more folks will see us enjoying the outdoors, and be inspired to walk or bike on short trips. If we can make it popular enough, maybe they'll help us ask for more rational development plans. Maybe it will actually get to the point where the average suburbanite can bike to the mall without being terrified by traffic!

And of course, maybe it's all a fantasy. But in the meantime, I enjoy biking anyway. I enjoy it so much, for so many reasons, that I'm willing to keep on doing it, and keep on promoting it. If, ultimately, it does some good for society, and some good for the earth, so much the better.

- Frank Krygowski
Source: Bicycling Life

Five, uh, Different Reasons to Ride a Bicycle

You probably think that you've heard all the arguments for riding a bicycle. Sure, the bicycle doesn't use non-renewable resources or pollute (including noise pollution), is inexpensive both for ownership and in terms of public infrastructure to support it, can be parked anywhere, and is a healthy activity.

"Blah, blah, blah. Tell me something new," you say.

O.K., here's five reasons to ride a bicycle that you've never before heard of. Not in your wildest dream. And if you don't already ride a bicycle for fun, fitness, or transportation, this will surely convince you to get your gears spinning.

1. Bicycles are more technologically advanced than motor vehicles.
Don't let the shiny, complicated looking engine on that Ecstasy S.U.V. fool you. A bicycle is in certain ways the most intelligent vehicle ever created. It has the world's most advanced "engine" controlled with the most wondrous and sophisticated "computer." The engine often knows what's wrong with itself and usually fixes itself. A bicycle is also the world's most energy efficient mode of travel, using just 35 calories per passenger mile versus 1860 for an average automobile with one occupant. And the engine can run on all kinds of strange fuels, like broccoli.

Affordable bicycles are manufactured with exotic materials such as titanium, carbon fiber, incredible aluminum alloys, and high strength alloy steel. If you've never ridden a high quality modern bicycle, you're in for a treat.

In comparison, cars are dinosaurs. Actually, they burn decomposed dinosaurs in an internal combustion engine that, evolutionarily speaking, is about at the Paleozoic era. We've had rocket ships that go to the moon and back since 1969. We have limitless solar energy and enough nuclear technology to atomize the earth, but our motor vehicles still use fossil fuel. Cars are made with steel, iron, and plastic. You can't pick them up. And try to fix one!

2. Bicycle manufacturing is not controlled by special interests.
Well, special interests are EVERYWHERE, but relatively speaking, this is true. Bicycle manufacturers could have invented the Army recruiting slogan "Be All That You Can Be." Their goal is to produce the best vehicle possible. Bicycles are the perfect synthesis of body and machine. Be a cyborg.

Cars on the other hand, are the epitome of special interest controlled products. The oil industry wants cars to get the worst gas mileage possible. The steel industry wants cars to be big and heavy, ostensibly in order to be safe.

So, reject the greed of huge multinational corporations. Tread lightly and ride a bicycle.

3. Bicycles are faster than cars.
In urban areas, this is sometimes literally true. Congestion, traffic signals, parking-space-search time, and walking-to-final-destination time all conspire to reduce the speed of even the highest powered motor vehicle to about that of a bicycle. However, if you consider that the time cost of travel also includes the amount of time spent working to pay for the vehicle, bicycles come roaring ahead. Also, why spend loads of time working to pay for the car to get to work to pay for the car?

Since exercise is mandatory for optimal health, and riding a bicycle to some necessary destination incorporates exercise which would otherwise take time in the gym, pedaling to someplace can be considered as taking zero time. Therefore, bicycles are infinitely fast. That's faster than light, which, according to Einstein shouldn't be possible, but nonetheless reverses time. Riding a bicycle makes you younger. Be a kid again!

4. You can be part of a cutting edge movement.
According to the 1990 Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey, only 0.7% of all transportation trips are made by bicycle. Ninety percent of trips are taken in a personal automobile with the remainder via transit, walking, or other modes.

Lets face it, bicyclists are a minority. But, by the same token, we're unique. So why be normal? Be different, ride a bicycle.

5. Someday you'll wish you had.
Helen Hayes, the much beloved "First Lady of American theater" who died at the age of 92 was asked in an interview if she regretted anything. She said she had only one regret. "I never rode a bicycle. I wish I had. That's all."

While few of us can hope to achieve the stature of Ms. Hayes, we certainly can fulfill a dream that she never did. The simple pleasure of riding a bicycle — effortless motion at one moment, challenging yet empowering hill climbing the next, followed by the thrill of the descent.

Bicycling is the wind in your face and your senses on hyperdrive. It's life at its best. Try it. Ultimately there will come a time when you won't be able to.

Source: Bicycling Life

Transcon-holics Anonymous

by Rich Testardi, Jack Dingler, and Ken Kifer
Rich Testardi wrote:

Hi. My name is Rich and I'm a transcon-holic. I started riding 20 years ago as a boy -- 10 miles here, 10 miles there, on weekends... I really never thought anything bad would come from it -- it was just like a game... The next thing you know, I was riding during the week, missing work, even missing T.V. sitcoms in the evenings. And I was even convincing my FRIENDS to go with me... It was an addiction and I didn't even know it.

All of a sudden, a three speed roadster wasn't good enough for me anymore... So, I borrowed a ten speed from a so-called friend... One thing led to another and, before I knew it, I bought my OWN 24 speed mountain bike with twist grip shifters... I honestly thought the fresh air and thrills were all that mattered. I was out of control -- especially on the long rocky descents... I began hanging out with people who wore bike shorts, gloves, and even helmets... I began to think that was all normal.

Of course my co-workers tried to help me get back into the 40 hour work week and evening sitcoms, but I was convinced I knew better. I thought I had found true peace of mind, but I know now all I had found were some technical challenges and cheap thrills...

Anyway, last summer it all came to a head... I never even saw it coming... I really thought I was still in control... Anyway, like I was saying, last summer it all came to a head. I left my job and took THREE MONTHS OFF just to ride and ride. No T.V., no work, no nothing. I just wasted and peddled away. To be honest, some days I didn't even have a DESTINATION... I'm so embarrassed. And the WORST thing is that I thought it actually felt GOOD at the time, and I even believed in my so-called friends encouragement... I was THAT far gone.

I got back to work afterwards and I honestly couldn't even see WHAT was so IMPORTANT about work. I actually thought I would like to NOT WORK! That was when my boss finally called Transcon-holics Anonymous and my healing began.

The first thing they did was separate me from my bike and so-called friends. It was hard at first, I have to admit, but after just a few months of shock treatments intermixed with video tapes of mid-day talk shows, I began to see the soft blue glow of the tube... Then they started easing me back into work -- a short phone conference at first, then a meeting or two, and finally multi-day touchy-feely offsites. It was so strange. I had completely forgotten the warm glassy-eyed look of my co-workers as they nodded off in the back of a meeting room...

As I started nodding off myself, I knew I was on my way home, and my transcon days were behind me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Dingler replied:

Man, didn't anyone ever tell you that there are ways to beat the system?

1. First off, find a safe place to park your car and bike, near your workplace. Then commute to your car by bicycle and then drive your car the 1/4 mi or so to work. This way, no one will suspect that your slipping back into your old ways.

2. Sneak your sports drinks in using a thermos or carry it on a nondescript lunch bag. You can probably fit a Camelback into a briefcase.

3. Rewrap your Power Bars so that they look like Snickers. Bring some real Snickers in case a coworker wants one. Don't leave any Gu Gell wrappers, or the like, in the waste baskets.

4. If you must take biking mags or catalogs to work, insert them into boring looking trade magazines so that it looks like your researching. If you drool on the pages, they'll be even more impressed with your dedication.

5. Never forget to change all of your clothes when getting ready for the office. Wearing Sidis into the office is a dead giveaway that you've fallen off the wagon. Be careful with the sunglasses too. Don't take the hat to work.

6. Make sure that you never wear anything that might not cover unusual tan lines. Some of your office mates may have been trained to watch for little details, such as these.

7. When climbing stairs with office mates, act like it's difficult. Get winded, try to make your face turn red. Showing any superhuman abilities like climbing stairs with ease is a sure giveaway that you are a cyclist.

8. Be sure to act droopy and half asleep when you get to work. If you're too alert, some people might get suspicious.

9. Occasionally make up some story about something that you saw a cyclist do. Faking derision will be tough, but we all have to make sacrifices for our addictions.

10. Wear baggy clothes. Don't give anyone any reason to believe that you are fit.

11. If #10 fails, don't say, I work out, jog, swim, etc... Next thing you know, a coworker will call you on it. Your form will suck and they'll suspect that you might be cycling again. How many times have had a friend come along on a ride, bragging all the way to the start, only to wander all over the road and quit five miles into the ride? You probably won't look any better pretending to be a tennis player. Blame it on your genes and change the subject.

12. When people tell you they called, drove by, your car was there but you didn't answer, just lie. Say you were out with your grandma. You were sleeping, drunk and passed out, etc...

13. If someone calls right after you've finished a ride and they ask why your out of breath, say, I thought it would be you, so I ran to the phone...

14. When people comment on your weight, blame it on a high metabolism. respond with, "I wish I looked healthy like you, everyone thinks I'm anorexic."

15. If you're caught. Don't blame it on an evil twin. That never works. Admit your weakness, blame it on stress and don't get caught again.

Television will be the tough part. You'll need to pick a series of show that are to be your favorites. Try to pick shows that don't interest your coworkers but try to pick inane ones so that you'll still fit into the herd. Then you'll need to come up with a means to keep up with the shows without watching them. Web pages and TV and cable guides can all be used for resources. Unfortunately, you can find yourself entrapped by your own deception if you offer an opinion on a show that didn't actually air due to a game overrun, special report or Presidential Address. For this reason, don't volunteer to much information. Chances are, if you pick the right shows, you won't need to talk about them anyway. If discussing television is unavoidable, you might invest in one of those little radios that pick up TV stations so that you can listen while you ride.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Kifer replies:

Wow, Rich and Jack; you have really helped me see the light. You know, I wouldn't tell this to another living soul, but I too have betrayed the American work ethic by enjoying cycling. Oh, I try to cover it up the best I can; I moan and groan about how I'm too poor to get my van fixed, or I talk about my tendency to fall asleep and wander off the road when driving (the next thing I know, they're telling me not to drive), but I know they see through me. For one thing, when I come in in the morning, I am bright and cheerful and friendly. My cheerful mood spoils their whole day. And then at lunch time, I quickly wolf down my meal, eating twice as much as they do and looking slim, while they have to ponderously and slowly chew their ways through their greasy meals, and then slowly raise their ponderous bodies from their chairs. Then, in the afternoon, when it's time to go, I skip out of the building light on my feet, feeling gay. That's a terrible way to act when every other decent soul is complaining about tired legs and feet. It's no wonder no one likes me.

I just really need to change my ways before it's too late. Someday, everyone else I know will be dead and gone, and I'll feel young and healthy. Won't I regret it then!

Source: Bicycling Life

5 comments:

The Experience said...

See Reid, not everything is wrong. Bicycling is right, so very right. Three cheers for bicycling! Hip, hip, hooray!

MB said...

It's the bestest thing ever. By far. Well - maybe other than blowjobs.

PEr said...

Great pieces Reid! Bicycles are the answer.

mrs the experience said...

Ideally, you'd find someone who will ride with you AND stop to blow you along the way. Just don't use a lot of chamois cream. Tastes bad.

Anonymous said...

diddo on all o'that!
bikes rule. i own four. i try to ride one at leat once per day ;)
ross:0