24 November 2008

Worried about nothing?

Last week I had a review with my Career Manager that prompted me to update my Monster.ca resume and profile -- something I hadn't done in several years simply because I didn't feel the need to.

With indications of what my company's initiatives might be in the new year (ie, they're waiting, like every other company, to see what this economic downturn is going to look like), and that training money might be non-existent while my contract on my current position ends at the end of December and there's a possibility that I might end up on the 'bench' for a period of time until new project money starts to flow again, I thought it wouldn't hurt to get my name out there again. Plus the fact I'm very tired and sick of my current role, to the point I don't even care about staying or going anymore.

I have had several IT Recruiters contact me over the past six months to see when I was going to be interested in looking at other opportunities, but over the last three days, I've had two companies contact me directly and another recruiting company! Now the issue is that there's a lot of development/support work out there in IT, but that's not particularly what I want to do anymore. I'm thinking business analyst roles, but I guess if the right technology position showed up, I might consider it.

But I'm being honest with everyone I talk to:
"yes, I've developed in Perl in the past, but it's not something I want to do exclusively."
"yes, I've been in development and support roles for almost eight years now, but I really want to get out of the technology side and get more experience on the business side." (I can't believe I'm actually saying such things).
and a few months ago:
"I'm going through a lot of personal stuff right now and won't be looking at any new opportunities in the short-term future." Classic, eh?

That being said, I heard from my deployment manager today that the head of the Integrated Technology Delivery group wants to talk to me about the end of my contract. He oversees network architecture for the current contract I'm on. I haven't worked with him directly, however we are part of a regular noon running group so I know him quite well. Maybe I'll wait to see what he has to say before I make any decisions?

I do have a meeting with the new IT Recruiter on Wednesday....

...when it rains, it pours.

No comments: