02 June 2006

Weltschmerz

That was the word that stumped Finola Hackett in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Although she was the highest ranking Canadian in the competition ever, she started the spelling with a 'v' instead of a 'w'. Damn Germans.

What does it mean? Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "a weary or pessimistic feeling about life." Hmm. Sort of describes how I feel most of the time. I feel so overextended and exhausted, especially this time of year, with all of the training, racing and volunteer obligations, on top of work, relationship and social needs. Of course, we all feel this way from time to time, and I guess this is my time right now.

Luckily warm weather and outdoor activities help to alleviate the weariness. The past few days have been beautiful. I went out for a three hour ride on Wednesday and last night was racing at the track. Lots of people out and lots of fun. However my equipment woes are making me weary. Two flats on the Mavic Ellipses at the track last night and my Madone is in the shop getting TLC and potentially a new derailleur hanger. Hopefully she will be shift-worthy again in time for Pigeon Lake on Sunday. I'm going to take rolls of hockey tape and electrical tape to the track tomorrow and see if I can't nip my track wheel problem in the bud.

Synergy's host race, the Prairie Steamer Road Race takes place on June 17. The Exec is getting pretty busy organizing that. I'm in charge of food and prizes, and some of the communications.

However, on top of that I just got a call from our AGLC rep yesterday and she is requiring more information for our Annual Returns for 2005 so I have to get a bunch more stuff collected, cross-referenced and sent to her by the 16th. Nothing like having everything crash in on you at the same time!

Oh well. It's the fun stuff that makes it all worthwhile, like a successful race weekend, or the chance to hang out with friends and family. It is with a bit of sadness that we will be saying goodbye tonight to Jon at his farewell party, but from the sounds of it, he and Sara won't be strangers.

Saturday I'm picking up my rental car, going to brunch at Jeff's (Joe has to work Saturday afternoon), then going to the track, fixing my wheels and then Natasha and I are going prize-hunting for the race on the 17th. I'm packing up the car and then heading to Red Deer Saturday night to visit with Owen, Chloe and Trezlie and then setting off early for Pigeon Lake on Sunday. Race start time is 10:30, so I probably won't roll out of Red Deer until 8am or so.

I'm also excited about the track race next weekend. It's being held in Edmonton and a large Synergy contingent is going. Those race weekends are always a hoot. As usual, we will be staying at the U of A residence.

Unfortunately, the Calgary Pride parade takes place on the 11th while I'm in Edmonton, however I'm very happy that I'll be around on the 17th for the Pride Dance, Xist 2006. It's always fun to hang out with the gang.

The rest of June is a full roster of track and road racing up until the Canada Day weekend when there will be two Crits in Edmonton back-to-back. After that, it's only four short weeks until Montreal. I can't believe how quickly time is passing.

Anyways, it's thinking of these things that makes the world not so weltschmerz-y.

2 comments:

MB said...

I think the parade is on Stephen Ave. (8th). The city has relegated most parades to there now (at least the unimportant ones, ie. anything other than the Stampede and Santa Claus parades!

mrs the experience said...

Can you post purty pitchers from the partay? Or email them to me? I don't have any... and Jon won't be connected for a while. Great seeing you guys!