18 influential thinkers were chosen to identify the great technological challenges facing humanity in the 21st century by the US National Academy of Engineering.
The experts include Ray Kurzweil, Google founder Larry Page and genome pioneer Dr Craig Venter.
The 14 challenges were announced at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston, which concluded on Monday.
CHALLENGES FACING HUMANITY IN THE 21ST CENTURY
- Make solar energy affordable
- Provide energy from fusion
- Develop carbon sequestration
- Manage the nitrogen cycle
- Provide access to clean water
- Reverse engineer the brain
- Prevent nuclear terror
- Secure cyberspace
- Enhance virtual reality
- Improve urban infrastructure
- Advance health informatics
- Engineer better medicines
- Advance personalised learning
- Explore natural frontiers