21 September 2006

Why that morning coffee is so important

On Monday, I got an email from a friend who is planning a surprise 40th birthday party for his partner. He had asked me to send an email out to all of our common friends to let them know about it and put it into their calendars for the last weekend in October.

Yesterday morning before going to get my de-groggifying coffee, I had gotten a response from another friend on the send-out list who needed some information. He also pointed out that one of the emails on the list was out-of-date for another friend who had recently moved to Vancouver and wondered if I knew his new address.

Since the person we are planning the party for is the manager of our running group's email distribution list, I figured that he MUST know the new email address. So what did I do? Without a thought, I cc'ed him on the reply to the other friend's email inquiry. As soon as I had hit the 'Send' button, I knew what I had done. Fuck! What an idiot I am! I made a few futile efforts to recall the email but it was too late. Now I will be known as the one who spoiled the surprise! Embarrassed, I called the friend and told him to delete the email before reading it. But knowing him well enough I know that he will read it. Boy, am I a tool. Fortunately, I know that even if he knows the truth he will go along with the charade to the end. Maybe the egg on my face will only be partially scrambled.

2 comments:

mrs the experience said...

Oh, my. Don't you wish life had an Undo function?

The Experience said...

Good jorb Reid! Better scrambled egg than runny.