06 August 2008

Sunrise, Sunset

I was looking forward to having a relaxing long weekend and finally catch up on some desparately needed sleep when I got the news on Saturday afternoon that my cousin Robert died sometime over the weekend. His wife called me Saturday afternoon saying that they found his body in his apartment Saturday morning and it was possible he had had a heart attack sometime in the previous day or two.

I'm still shocked. The funeral is this Saturday in Lethbridge.

Monday was the 15th Anniversary of when my brother Warren was killed. It doesn't seem that long ago, and I find he's in my thoughts daily to today.

RIP, my brothers.

On lighter notes, the wedding of my good friends Hugh and Brent on Monday was a joyous occasion. I'm very glad I went.

My brother Owen turns the big 3-0 today. I'll call him tonight and give him a few jibs about joining the old fogies.

He's the last of the cousins on my dad's side of the family to leave the 20s, so we're officially a bunch of old farts as of today...

Next year marks my mom and dad's 40th wedding anniversary as well as my 20th year high school reunion. Yeesh.

The events of the past few weeks have made me feel like I've added another five years of aging onto the total....

But being at Trezlie's birthday party a few weekends ago, seeing all the little kids having a blast and my sister-in-law rounded out with arrival number two was certainly enough to lift my spirits about getting old.

No comments: